Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Are Holdouts Possible in the Corporate World?

I thought about an interesting piece the other day. If I were to stop going to work, and demand double my current salary, would my company realize that I save them much more than I make and that their ROI would still be a good one, thus caving to my holdout and actually double my salary?

No. They would not. I'd get shitcanned. Period. However, it brings up an interesting notion. If you know who Terrell Owens or Javon Walker are, you know that these two professional football players are not planning on attending any team workouts or practices until they get new contracts. In Walker's case, yes, he is underpaid ($500k for a top 15 WR in the NFL). In Owens' case, he is not underpaid (he signed a 7 year, $49 million deal a year ago). Either way, their industry allows for one to hold out, because, generally, these people are so critical to their teams that without them, the team is severly impaired.

So, the question is: Are there positions out there that people can "holdout" to get more money in the corporate world? This doesn't count organized strikes; I am speaking solely on an individual basis.

I don't think we're there.....yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger daniel said...

Of course holdouts are possible - see unions! ;-)

Seriously, though, I don't know - I'm of the opinion that nobody's irreplaceable. I hold that view if for no other reason than to keep reminding myself to stay sharp. ;-)

Other than "industry norms" and unions, it's just supply and demand. There are far fewer pro-level football players than ... engineers, or whatever it is you do (pardon my ignorance). ;-) Though I'm sure you bring them excellent value, they can more likely than not afford to replace you in relatively short order. Sure, they might hurt some up front from canning you, but it's probably a small price to pay to keep you from turning the company on it's head. ;-)

Daniel
http://danielsmbaonline.blogspot.com/

June 01, 2005 12:04 AM  
Blogger rvb1977 said...

Yes, unions do it, but I already disqualified that by calling it an organized strike. And I already admitted that if I held out, I'd be fired instantly. I'm not saying I'm about to do this!

The supply and demand comment you make is truly why it's not currently possible today. I wonder if it will be in the future? Because populations grow, not shrink, I believe that it won't probably ever be feasible.

June 01, 2005 8:02 AM  
Blogger Keven said...

I think it's possible if three things occur...

1) You are personally vital to the team/company. A CEO/Managing Director maybe, or a top salesperson with a great relationship with the companies largest clients.

2) It would take too much money and time to either train or find a comparable replacement.

3) You could easily take your skills/experience/clients to a rival company

June 01, 2005 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home