Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I'm it, huh?

It appears as though I've been "book tagged". Keven, a fellow soon-to-be Badger (Go Bucky!) let me know of this in one of his comments. If I had been tagged in another blog, I wouldn't know. I'm awfully busy trying to find a place to live in Madtown these days...plus hockey and softball started up!

But, I am a loyal blogger. I will post the last 5 books I have read. Before I get to that, you should know that I am NOT an avid reader. In fact, I cannot tell you what the last fiction book I read was, but I can tell you it was for an undergrad assignment. Those of you who either know me, or read this or my other blog know what I'm all about and these books won't surprise you (except for maybe the first).

1) BEING PERFECT, by Anna Quindlen
This book was given to my girlfriend by her mother and I read it in the car on the 3 hr drive home. The book's premise is simple: Don't try to be perfect, be you. It's a quick, 20 or 30 minute read and a good pause in life.

2) HOW TO MAKE MONEY IN STOCKS, by William J. O'Niel
The owner's manual for Investor's Business Daily. The book is so data driven that it's incredible, and, I gotta tell you is my bible for investing. This was not the first time I've read this book.

3) HIGH PROBABILITY TRADING, by Marcel Link
This is a great book about trading, not necessarily investing. Link provides great snippets about things he's done wrong, which might be the most important point of the book. However, he also uses the best visuals I've seen in a trading book, and really shows the value of multiple time frames. His "greedy bastard" phrase, though not unique, has found its way into my vocabularly in what not to be as a portfolio manager and part-time trader.

4) THE NEW MARKET WIZARDS, by Jack Schwager
This book actually is what my username is based on! I must admit, that I haven't actually finished all of the interviews in this book, but I'm close. How can you not love a book that, in its first sentence, attacks Eugene Fama's Efficient Market Theory?

5) TRADING IN THE ZONE, by Mark Douglass
This book is not necessarily about trading, per se - or at least it isn't once you finish it. The book is more about psychological forces and barriers that we put on ourselves. Mr. Douglass intends for the book to discuss how the mind works in the trading realm, but what he actually describes goes above and beyond trading. He describes how your brain can put barriers on what you can accomplish and why you do some of the things you do. Anyone can benefit from this very unique book.

There you have it. I'm focused, can you tell? I believe that I have about 30 books in the house. Half of them were gifts that I have no intention of reading. The rest are investing books that I bought.

I think everyone else has been tagged thus far, so I'm out on that (and I have to go hopefully quarterback my football team to victory during my last game with the team in 75 minutes).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home