Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Giving Notice

I treated it as a fairly informal little discussion. But, I must say, I was actually nervous. I've never actually quit a job before, really, or at least not a job of consequence. For me, there's always been an end in sight that everyone knew about before my positions started. Not this time.

Top that with my boss having just returned from a difficult family-based emergency trip, it made it a little nerve-wracking. But, from a professional standpoint it had to be done. I'm giving 5 weeks notice, so that the team can hopefully find a replacement.

I basically told him my plans and why. And then he went on to talk a little bit about his idea of perhaps going to Kellogg's Executive MBA program and I mentioned that I had helped my former roomie get into the Part-Time program at Kellogg. So, we talked a bit and he said that he'd be calling for my help.

Now we've got some things to discuss - workload planning and shifting for the summer.

It's been a good learning experience, the last 5 years but now it's on to bigger things. Business is business and sometimes you just have to move on and take a risk because you know it's right. Ask Mark Cuban, in what is a good, motivational blog post.

2 Comments:

Blogger KV said...

I admire your courage to doing it now. I too need to give my notice but I'm trying to postpone it as much as possible (I don't know why). I talked to a lot of people and it's about 50-50: people telling me to say it now to give my employer adequate time to find someone else (how could they ever replace me? lol) and others saying to only give 2 weeks notice so that I don't end up with the B-level projects now.

June 21, 2005 12:04 PM  
Blogger rvb1977 said...

Part of me said to do the same, but, knowing that I'm one of two people pushing on the stuff our boss wants done, I wasn't too worried. There's lots to do, and little time to do it.

It sounds like you've made up your mind to wait - and it's probably the right decision for you...

June 21, 2005 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home