Friday, August 26, 2005

Got my computer!

My lack of a computer has been the cause of my absence lately. But, now I am the proud owner of a shiny new IBM T42 Thinkpad. I gotta say that I like the computer - it's sturdier than my old Dell was, and, well, it's faster but that's because the specs are newer and faster.

This past week, as you may have read on Keven's blog, we've been in orientation. I am actually skipping "Basic Excel" as I type this (today is optional). I missed yesterday with the passing of a grandfather, which was not unexpected, but a sad day nonetheless. The school was very understanding in working with me to make sure I didn't miss anything, and so I knew where to be for my group meeting; we have presentations to start building in groups.


What I've learned so far about Madison, our Class, or our Program

  • walk to Grainger Hall in 15 minutes

  • bike to Grainger Hall in 6 minutes

  • no idea when my apt. will be organized - it's still a disaster

  • 113 incoming Full-Time MBA students

  • 10 are in the Applied Security Analysis Program (ASAP), which means more fun for us when we run the portfolio!

  • I'm "the rookie" in the program (sort of)

  • We have FACTSET and WONDA on our PC's, along with a Bloomberg terminal in the Hawk Center to help us with market research

  • My guess is that all 10 of us want to work on the equity portfolio, so we'll need to widdle it down to 5 fixed-income, and 5 equity

  • We have a very exciting field trip opportunity, for now I'll keep quiet on what that trip may be, but if/when it occurs, I'll be sure to detail it here

  • about 30% of the MBA class is married (I am guess-timating)

  • Freshmen look like little kids to me

  • Can't file for student loan deferment until the day classes begin

  • Most people lost out on the football ticket lottery. There's a posting in the hall that says "Wanted, Student season football tickets, will pay $300" Reg. price: $109

  • With the Core classes, the Professional classes, the John J. Oros speaker series, AND our own Investing 101, I will have to find a way to never sleep


That's about it for now from Mad-town.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keven said...

Ditto on the undergrads. I think you're pretty close on the married/unmarried ratio. I know there are about 40-45 people going to the Joint Venture thing this afternoon, though I don't know how many of those are actually married.

Sorry about your Grandfather.

August 26, 2005 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home