Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Internship Update

Prompted by a comment from KV, I thought I'd talk a little bit about my internship.

First off, I'll say that our Alumni Network (especially my program - since it has 35 years of history) had alot to do with me landing the job in the first place. That's not to say I wasn't qualified, though. IM is an interesting industry. I've blogged about that before.

At any rate, the job is very cool. I'm the "Hedge Fund Intern" and I am employee #18, I think (10 are investment people). Most of the day I am running screens, calling companies, writing up investment ideas, or defending them. Everday I'm reminded that I made the right decision to be where I am.

I am also getting a chance to see the Private Equity world from the inside. I had no idea really what PE was like before coming to bschool. Having been a GE trained engineer it would have been difficult. There is some irony in that in order to be around new technologies on a weekly basis, I had to move from engineering to finance. To quote the McD's commercial - I'm lovin' it.

4 Comments:

Blogger atypical HBS said...

nice blog dude.

July 20, 2006 7:30 AM  
Blogger KV said...

Mickie Dees rocks. But on a more serious note, I’m glad you are learning so much about the industry. I too was an engineer before (although I changed 1 year before business school) but I agree with you that finance is a much better industry to be on top of now technologies. I’m also amazed by the fact that we are encouraged to watch the news at work (we have plasma screens throughout the trading floor) and stay on top of political events in the world. Doing this at my old job would have gotten me fired. Here people think it’s really good that I’m so interested in the events going on around the world.

How do you like being on the buy-side? I’m on the other side of the phone; on the sell-side in the hedge funds group.

Anyways, we should share war stories after the internships. I’m exactly half way through now.

July 21, 2006 8:02 AM  
Blogger rvb1977 said...

It's funny because I feel the same way. Part of our job is to be informed, so we SHOULD be reading things online and staying close to what's going on. I'd have gotten fired watching tv, too.

It's a much better atmosphere.

That being said - the world needs more people in tech than finance. How can we make those jobs fun?

July 21, 2006 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget about getting paid to read 2 or 3 newspapers in the morning :)

I agree about the finance field though. It is too crowded.

August 04, 2006 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home