Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Wisconsin - Oros Speaker, ASAP 101 Macroeconomics speaker

This is my first ever blog entry from the Stephen L. Hawk Center for Security Analysis. I plan on spending more time up here these days.

Anyhow, I promised to attempt to write about the speakers we meet while we're here.

Last Thursday, the MBA program was fortunate enough to hear from Paul Leff an ASAP Alum ('83 - I think) who is one of the two co-founders of Perry Capital Management - a fairly large Hedge Fund. He spoke to the general MBA class, but mostly about investing. Following him, we had an informal speaker (over beers) with an alum from the same exact class ('83) who gave opinions on the future of the big brokerages / sell-side businesses in the investment industry. He also spoke about landing jobs and whatnot.

The following day, we had another ASAP alum ('73) who spent 3 hours talking about modeling the economy, how to deal with "macro economic shocks" and "macro economic-non events", monetary policy, and the cyclical nature of the economy.

So there you have it. Last week - 3 speakers, all who've gone on to great success in the biz.

I am not sure if I can give the names of our ASAP speakers at this time, because, at least for now I have no permission to do so. The Oros series speakers (monthly speakers who visit the entire MBA class) are published on the web, as Keven noted in the comments section of this post) Time will tell as I get into this process a little bit more whether or not sharing names is the prudent thing to do.

**Note: I obviously edited this post after the comment by Keven.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keven said...

I think you can talk about the Oros speakers as you can see info and photos of them on the Business School website. Not sure about your ASAP speakers though.

October 26, 2005 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home